My very special thanks to the good people at 12 Tomatoes for this awesome recipe. Try it this weekend. (Go on. You know you want to):
Chocolate Peanut Butter BuckeyesYield: approx. 5-6 dozen
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons canola oil or vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat peanut butter and butter together. Once incorporated, stir in vanilla extract and sea salt.
- Gradually add powdered sugar until totally combined. (It’s all right if mixture is dry.)
- Divide dough into 4-6 equal pieces and roll each piece into a thin log. Cut logs into 1-inch pieces and roll each small piece into a ball.
- Transfer peanut butter balls to baking sheets and place in the freezer until chilled. 20-30 minutes.
- In a large microwaveable bowl, combine chocolate chips and canola oil and microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Place each peanut butter ball on a spoon and lower into melted chocolate, leaving an exposed circle of peanut butter on top of each ball.
- Transfer chocolate-dipped peanut butter balls back to baking sheet and refrigerate until chocolate is set.
Note: store in an air-tight container, layers separated by wax paper, for up to 3 months.