Friday, March 23, 2007

Purely Bourdain

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Host of The Travel Channel's No Reservations, Anthony Bourdain

Once again, America's favorite bad boy chef and novelist gives us his uncensored take on the Food Network Channel and some of its premiere hosts as a guest blogger over at Chef Michael Ruhlman’s blog, Ruhlman . (Aw, c’mon now, Tony, don’t hold back...tell us what you really think.)

Wowsa.

And yes, as always, Bourdain pretty much rips ‘em each a "brand new one," while apparently taking it a bit easy on down-home girl, Paula Deen, when referring to her as a seemingly "nice old lady." (Can’t you just see America’s favorite Georgia Peach, rolling her ample neck, and eyes, chanting, "Uh, uh, baby -- oh no, you didn’t!") But then, going on to refer to her as a look-alike for the late cult icon, Divine... Well, Ouch!

Anyway, to paraphrase the ever-tempestuous Tony Bourdain:

I actually WATCH Food Network now and again, more often than not drawn in by the progressive horrors on screen. I find myself riveted by its awfulness, like watching a multi-car accident in slow motion. Mesmerized at the ascent of the Ready-Made bobblehead personalities, and the not-so-subtle shunting aside of the Old School chefs, I find myself de-constructing the not-terrible shows, imagining behind the scenes struggles and frustrations, and obsessing unhealthily on the Truly Awful ones. Screaming out loud at Sandra Lee in disbelief as she massacres another dish, then sits grinning, her face stretched into a terrifying rictus of faux cheer for the final triumphant presentation. I mourn for Mario..and Alton...Bobby and yes--even Emeril, nobly holding the fort while the TV empire he helped build crumbles like undercooked Bundt cake into a goo of Cheez Wiz around him.

As titled, Bourdain starts off his post with: Nobody Asked Me...But...

And no doubt, I, for one, will never get tired of hearing what this super-talented chef and consummate "wordsmith" has to say -- as only *he* can say it.

2 comments:

Debra Young said...

Bourdain's guest post was a great, and all too true, read, thanks for that link. I used to love FN back when I watched TV and the shows were actually about cooking (Two Fat Ladies, Essence of Emeril, Good Eats...) but even before I stopped watching TV I saw FN begin its awful change toward cooking personalities and away from real chefs, real food, real cooking. But, I gotta say, some of the comments were so cuttingly hilarious, I laughed so much, I started to hyperventilate. The one comment that made me laugh the most was about Giada "molesting the basil"--honestly I went into such a conniption of hilarity, my cats left the room. d:)

h.g. dowdell said...

:-)

He does have a distinct way with words -- doesn't he?