Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Just Ask A Pro


Straight from the horse's mouth (yikes, please…no pun intended!), clearly the best source of a beautiful cut of meat is also the right person to tell you how to eat it. And, out of all the New York area butchers recently interviewed by the New Yorker Magazine, the one featuring Sal Biancardi titled: Whole Rack Of Lamb was my personal favorite on the subject.

Biancardi, co-owner of Biancardi Meats , 2350 Arthur Ave., nr. 186th St., in an under-recognized area of the wonderful Bronx of yesteryear(and for me, one of the last bastions for fresh, prime meats in the uptown NYC area today) states:

"Good American lamb has no lamb flavor, no lamb smell. It's very, very sweet. I like a whole rack of lamb ($11.99 a pound) pan-seared and finished off in the oven. I roast it and then slice it after—that's how it stays nice and pink. I'm not big on seasonings. Having grown up in an Italian household, I like Italian seasonings: a little salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, fresh thyme. I'll put a little drop of canola oil in the pan so that it doesn't stick. Then I pan-sear and roast it for ten to fifteen minutes in a 500-degree oven, and it comes out rare but brown on the outside."

Read more in this month's New York Metro about the NYC butchers who can tell you about your cuts of meat -- better than anyone else can. So when in doubt…just ask a pro.

Good Wednesday, all. Peace.

No comments: