Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar 2006

The big wins for the night, of course, were for Reese Witherspoon as country singer June Carter in "Walk the Line" and Philip Seymour Hoffman as author Truman Capote in "Capote," winning in the best actress/best actor Academy Award categories.

And yes, I know I've said it here before -- but feel compelled to say it again... Philip Seymour Hoffman was twelve kinds of flippin' BRILLIANT in his portrayal of author and A-list celebrity, Truman Capote. But of course, the Golden Globe award he won for this role had pretty much already proven this, hands down.

Thankfully, I was able to catch Reese Witherspoon do an equally great job as June Carter Cash in Walk The Line opposite Joaquin Phoenix a few months ago, who I also thought was excellent in the role of the late Johnny Cash.

Overall, with my usual skipping of whatever designer name brands everyone was wearing and which Hollywood jewelers had allowed them to sport their jewels "on loan" on the infamous Red Carpet, I thought this year's 78th Annual Academy Awards ceremony was quite enjoyable, with Jon Stewart putting forth a decent effort as host. Although, a bit more of his crisp, biting "Daily Show" humor would have ultimately been even better, I think. Still, I hope to see him hosting again next year. And as promised, even designer-turned-groper-and-commentator Isaac Mizrahi behaved himself instead of his trademark pawing of the female stars and inquiring as to what kind of underwear they had on (jeez, was he just totally lit during his E! network Red Carpet gig for the 2006 Golden Globe Awards back in January -- or what??)

By the way, it was also a good year for George Clooney -- and glad to see him take home an award for Syriana.

Congrats to all the night's winners.

Good Monday, all. Peace.

1 comment:

Lara said...

I watched them too--I have to say, I was surprised that CRASH won for best film! Good for them!