Thursday, September 15, 2005

Another Look At The Big Easy




Set in 1958 in New Orleans during Mardi Gras, Bourbon Street and the Big Easy comes alive in this well-told suspense/crime novel by Leonce Gaiter that I am now knee-deep into... and loving it. At only 169 pages, the complexities of race relations, social climbing inequalities, revenge, and murder grabs the reader by the collar from the onset, to see this city and its people in another time of our history. And yes, I took the liberty of touting it here *before* finishing it, because I think it's truly THAT good! So if you're looking for a short read as well as a good one, I don't think you'll be disappointed with this one.

Bourbon Street is clearly a stunning debut by Gaiter, and I'm no doubt looking forward to his next offering -- which I hope will be sometime in the very near future. Well done.

**Also, do check out this June 2005 Interview With Leonce Gaiter
that for all aspiring novelists will further reiterate the importance of the tedium in finding a literary agent and champion who truly...gets your story and the message you're trying to convey to your reading public. A factor that is so very *vital* in the overall business of publishing, and putting your work "on the book shelves."

Interesting stuff.

Make it a good Thursday, all. Peace.

1 comment:

Ann said...

This book sounds great - I'm going to check it out.

I stayed in a hotel on Bourbon street on vacation a couple years ago - it was a blast. I've never seen anything like it - and the jazz was amazing. And the people watching was something else.