Friday, July 08, 2005

Thinking Very Retro

Is there any wonder that with the world in the state that it's in, as of this moment I'd be reminiscing about the 1980s...when things were at least a wee bit saner? Sure, and please don't get me wrong, between the Iran-Contra hearings, double-digit inflation, those God-awful Miami Vice pastel colors and rolled-up jacket sleeves we were all wearing back then, etc., the 80s were certainly not without its weaker moments either. But one thing has been stuck in my mind since yesterday's unspeakable carnage in London, and again today with a killer hurricane that's said to be headed toward the US having already killed 5 people on the island of Haiti. It's those funky, old "Choose Life" T-shirts that were worn by George Michael of the duo, Wham (at the time), and also by so many of us (myself included)in those days. Jeez, we saw them practically everywhere we went, didn't we? And those large block letters on a solid white background somehow seemed to resound the message -- the more we saw them.

And the correlation here, you ask? Well, I think it's very simple. This weekend, in the wake of all the precious lives that were senselessly lost, life for the living is clearly the only thing that matters.

Which of course, brings me to my weekend plans, which are simply this: To tell each of my love ones, once again, how much I truly do love them. And yes, as the old saying goes...while I'm still here on earth to tell them. Because hey, when you get right down to it -- tomorrow is certainly never promised.

Have a great weekend, all. Peace.

3 comments:

Devon Ellington said...

Just the other day, I was thinking back to the 80s, thinking how, in many ways, in spite of everything going on, for me it was a happy and reasonably stable decade.

Have a great weekend, my friend.

Michelle Miles said...

I was moving from the awkward child stage into teenage stage in the 80s (oh my, I'm aging myself, aren't I?) and the 80s to me were carefree days with lazy summers, band practice, dance lessons, crazy for Harrison Ford, hanging with my best friend, and reading my favorite books. Life seemed simpler then.

Thanks for the reminder on telling our loved ones we love them. I think I'll do the same. :)

Ann said...

This is so true - that last paragraph (or was it second to the last) says it all. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in New York City right now, and your view shown in that paragraph shows incredible courage.